Paul Krugman gives a solid NYT review of Elizabeth Warren’s new book “This Fight Is Our Fight“.
- Krugman, a Nobel Prize winning economist, calls her views “Enlightened Populism”. A smart term which accurately defines Warren’s ethos. An even better term might be “Progressive Populism”.
- Krugman agrees with some of her positions being Democratic and some walking the edge:
- He agrees that a New Deal type of stimulus is agreed on by most Democrats
- He disagrees that wealth inequality is something that all Democrats want to face head-on.
- Krugman argues Warren’s position is left-of-center on two fronts: both in terms of market intervention (higher minimum wage, stronger unions) with progressive taxation and social spending.
- Krugman overall appreciates the “muscular, unapologetic” approach to Progressivism.
After 4 years of Trumponomics, there is a very good chance people will be begging for *real* populism, Progressive Populism.